It is very important to warm up before surf.
Warming up allows you to get in the water ready to surf and start having fun without any sudden pain in your body.
Warm up before surf can be done in groups playing games or by using tools like fit ball and rubber bands, following a routine that gradually warms up our body parts.
It shouldn’t last too long and be too hard, just enough to get you loose and ready to surf.
Based on the temperature outside we can decide whether to wear a wetsuit for the warm up exercises or not, but we’ll wear it anyway before the jump in the water.
How to warm up for surfing
- We start running really light for 100 meters and we make a few small jumps, always very easily, after that we start to warm up the upper body and then the rest of the body.
- We start to move our neck from right to left, forward and backward, than in circular movements.
- After warming up the shoulders we start to warm up the central body and we do some circular movements with the pelvis.
- Now, we warm up the legs making some squats, then touch the sand with hands and do small jumps; then circular movements with knees and ankles.
- Finally, we can lay down on the sand and make some stretching exercises for our back.
- During this phase is very important to breath correctly, afterwards we drink some water in order not to get in the water too dehydrated.
- Warm up must be done according our needs and our level of training, it cannot be too intense otherwise you might get tired, but also it cannot not too light, otherwise you won’t be warm enough.
After the warm up we are ready to surf and enjoy this beautiful sport.